Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

Warden Message February 10, 2010

This warden message is being issued to alert U.S. citizens residing and traveling in Malawi that the Malawi Telecommunications Ltd (MTL) network is experiencing problems which prevent many calls from getting through to the U.S. Embassy’s landlines. MTL is continuing to troubleshoot the issue.
Due to these ongoing issues with MTL phone service, U.S. citizens are advised to call the Embassy’s cell phone numbers at (0)99-9-591-024 and (0)88-8-734-826 if they are in need of consular information or assistance.

U.S. citizens traveling abroad should regularly monitor the U.S. Embassy’s website and the U.S. Department of State's, Bureau of Consular Affairs website where the current Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information can be found.  The U.S. Embassy also encourages U.S. citizens to review "A Safe Trip Abroad", which includes valuable security information for those both living and traveling abroad.  In addition to information on the Internet, travelers may obtain up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the U.S. and Canada, or outside the U.S. and Canada on a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444.

U.S. citizens residing in or planning travel to Malawi should regularly check the Department’s Country Specific Information for Malawi and the U.S. Embassy Lilongwe website for the latest safety and security information.  Please also refer to “A Safe Trip Abroad” for additional safety and security information.  U.S. citizens planning travel to Malawi are advised to register their presence with the U.S. Embassy on the website or in person at the U.S. Embassy in Lilongwe, located at Area 40, Plot 20 Kenyatta Drive Tel. 265-(0)1-773-166, (0)99-9-591-024 and (0)88-8-734-826 on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:00 am – 12:00 noon or 1:30 – 4:30 pm or Fridays from 8:00 am – 1:00 pm).  In the event of an after-hours emergency, please call the above numbers and ask to be transferred to the duty officer.